Email Writing or Email Communication Skills link to your Business Outcomes in more ways than you can imagine. Both in the Business & Consumer world Email continues to remain a preferred channel for interpersonal communication, despite the proliferation of chat, instant messaging etc.
The statistics below might astound you:
- According to Radicatti the total number of business and consumer emails sent and received per day is over 3.1 billion with an annual growth rate of 4.4%. And approx. half of the world’s population has an email account. That is right ~4BN people use emails.
Email remains ahead of all other platforms as a marketing channel. It has a median ROI of 122%—more than four times higher than other marketing formats like social media, direct mail etc.
So, email writing is here to stay. Hence whether for your external customers or internal stakeholders, getting your emails right is extremely critical to your business outcomes. Why?
Remember the cost of poor communication is huge. According to a Holmes (a voice of the global PR industry) report, the cost of poor communication has hit an overwhelming $37 billion. Also, 400 surveyed corporations (with 100,000 plus employees in the U.S. & U.K.) estimated that communication barriers cost the average organization $62.4 million per year in lost productivity. The right email writing etiquettes can save you millions in reducing communication gap across your employees and in increasing Productivity.
Here is an example
Hello, I was following up on whether this task has been accomplished as per the due date?
Email 2 re written
I was following up on whether the task has been accomplished as per the due date of 2nd Feb’20. As shared earlier if this step gets delayed it will delay the subsequent steps and hence the project by up-to 10 days which would result in a higher cost.
Bringing out the impact with data is immensely powerful. It automatically creates a sense of urgency. It builds a strong brand for you as a professional, as people start seeing you as someone who means business. By design your mails will start getting priority.
Just as behaviours drive habits you could turn it around to have habits drive behaviours. As a Business Executive make quantification a habit. Every time you do that you will drive the behaviour of understanding the impact of every action by data. That will drive the right behaviours in you firstly as the lead which will cascade down to the whole project team.
Improving your employees email writing skills can lead to more satisfied customers as well as higher employee productivity.
Scenario 1: AS IS Email Writing Skills
Let us say you are a 100 people organization with an average employee salary of $40,000 p.a. at a 40-hour work week. On an average your employees spend 3.6 hours every day sending and receiving emails. This implies they are spending 45% of their time on email. In Dollar terms this amounts to $22.5 million.
Scenario 2: Enhance Email Writing Skills
Now imagine if the email writing skills across the board improve by 28% and they spend 2.6 hours per day on email. This means releasing a capacity of 2000 hours costing $625,000.
There will be other financial benefits measured in terms of winning orders, closing deals, closing projects on time and overall improvement in employee morale ad organization culture.
So, improve your email writing, make it crisp, clear, assertive and see how it drives your business outcomes and aids your business growth.
kWurd a personal AI Coach for email writing can help you improve:
- Sales effectiveness.
- ROI from transformation projects.
- ROI on training/coaching spend.
- Customer Service & CSAT.
- Individual effectiveness.
kWurd drives significant impact on business outcomes as it:
1. Offers individualized experience – It provides personalized assessment and integrates it with a customized plan for addressing the gaps.
2. Recursive feedback – It offers real-time corrective action plan leading to continuous & rapid improvement
3. Impact on Business Outcomes – Analytics yield actionable insights which co-relate findings to Business Outcomes. It will give you a heat map of the quality of communication your organization is having with your key customers, suppliers, and employees. It can dig out trends and patterns by geography, product or service, team, individual and function.
kWurd gives feedback on your Email Communication Skills and English Writing Skills. Below are the key parameters it gives feedback on:
- Communication Style– this score tells you how the recipient will perceive the tone of your email. Aggressive, passive aggressive, assertive, or passive? A red alert issued for an aggressive or a passive-aggressive male. No longer do you need to repent and email which burnt bridges. Before pressing send button get kWurd to analyse the mail for you.
- Email Sentiment & Emotion– this score tells you whether the words you have written will generate a positive, negative or a neutral sentiment in the reader’s mind. The Emotion score give the % of joy, fear, sadness. anger or disgust generated by your words.
- Empathy– kWurd analyses each mail on the level of empathy is shows for the reader. Showing empathy is critical especially in hybrid work environments.
- Clarity– is message clear and readable? To be able to write a clear mail, you should get the subject right, sentences, and paragraphs just the right length. Crisp and easy to understand words. All of this and more is checked, and your email is scored. A 5/5 gives you a perfectly clear message. A lesser score is accompanied by suggestions which if accepted will instantly get your email to sound crystal clear.
- Writing style– is it professional or amateurish? Opening and closing an email right, ensuring not too many exclamation marks or abbreviations all add up to creating your writing style. A score of 5/5 means you come across highly professional and very elegant in your writing. A lesser score? Suggestions to improve on the email will be provided and you can move all the way from an amateur to an expert in a couple of seconds.
Other than the above 5 elements it also gives you Spelling, and grammar score as well as Data Statistics which talks about pet, filler words usage, I statements’, Data used etc.
It is also an advanced proof-reading tool which works on all editors on google chrome. Writing a Facebook or a LinkedIn post or filling a form a commenting on a you tube video link. Write anything on your chrome browser and kWurd will give you the standard spelling and grammar errors as well as help you get rid of redundant words, call out passive voice, improve your readability by suggesting better word choices and more.
It gives areas of improvement along with suggestions to improve. Our kWurd Learning Lessons comprise 25+ videos each one taking up one concept and discussing it in detail.
Kwurd is an excellent tool for Customer Service teams who want to measure the quality of email responses along with cycle times. Its advanced dashboards can give you the average and individual scores of the email communication of your organization by key client, product, service, team, geography, location.
Improve your Email Writing Skills, English Writing Skills and Email Communication Skills all three by using kWurd. Here is a short link to a video describing kWurd:
Happy writing! Do leave us your thoughts in comments section below.